Monday, December 8, 2008

Political Activism + Glenn Beck!!


I heard Glenn Beck for the first time when I was 16 or 17 years old. I was driving. I listened and liked his standards. I liked what he had to say. His tour has come through Boise for the last couple years and have seen him three times. Tonight I got to meet him!! It was great. I was sad I didn't have anything profound or funny to say to him, but was glad for the chance to shake his hand, take a picture and have him autograph his new book, The Christmas Sweater. He has, since I heard him the first time, inspired me to find my own political voice and opinion. It's a hard journey trying to understand "the Issues" and what my opinion is supposed to be on them. Its close to impossible to form opinions by listening to the news, no matter how unbiased it may be or to individually analyze every political issue and form an opinion. I've also realized just recently that my opinion isn't very strong simply because its based on the opinions of others. My opinion has been like a faxed photocopy of a fax. It's not based on something firm and solid. I've started reading a book called The 5000 Year Leap. It has essentially broken down the Constitution into the 28 Great Ideas that Changed the World. Its makes a case for the success of our country being stemmed from the almost forgotten document our Founding Fathers engineered: The Constitution. It's goal is to present the Constitution in a way even I can understand. Maybe understanding what our country was initially founded upon will help me understand where it needs to go.

No comments: